Photo by Sunny studio / Shutterstock.com
What’s the top destination on your travel bucket list? Counting on a winter getaway? Or maybe you just need to get to a family reunion and would rather not spend too much.
If you’re a traveler, you may know that Southwest Airlines is now the country’s — with flights to 99 cities in the United States as well as 10 international destinations and some 4,000 departures a day in peak season. Using a card that racks up reward points fast you can get in on the many globe-trotting options for even less.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
For the relatively modest credit card use of $1,000 in the first three months, this card will rack up 40,000 Rapid Rewards Points and deliver another 7,500 bonus points after your anniversary as a card member, :
- A $75 Southwest travel credit each year.
- 2 reward points for each $1 spent on Southwest and its partner hotels and car rentals, and 1 point for each $1 spent using the card for other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards frequent flier program gets consistently high ratings among airline rewards programs. ranked it fifth, describing it as “most beneficial for budget-minded travelers based in the United States who frequently fly to major cities around the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean.”
If you’re inclined to ring up larger balances on plastic, and expect to do lots of travel, here’s another option for you — one that offers even more flexibility for redeeming reward points through an array of airline and hotel loyalty programs:
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
This highly rated travel card racks up 50,000 reward points when you use it for $4,000 worth of purchases within the first three months of opening the account. In addition:
- Earn 2 points for each $1 spent on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- Points transfer 1:1 to other leading hotel and airline loyalty programs. And, if you book through Chase Ultimate rewards, you get 25 percent more value — for example, 50,000 points are worth $625 for travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions when you book through Chase Ultimate Reward.
Do you have a favorite travel rewards card or trick? Share with us in comments below or on our .